Foreign Radical 
EDINBURGH FRINGE FIRST WINNER 2017 –THE SCOTSMAN
FOREIGN RADICAL invites 30 participants into an intriguing theatrical game that explores security, profiling, freedom of expression, and privacy in the age of cybersurveillance. Mobile throughout the performance, the participants collaborate, compete, investigate, debate, and spy on each other.
The Foreign Radical set is divided into four quadrants where participants, depending on personal and group responses to various questions posed by the game’s ‘host’, witness different perspectives on the action. They are at times divided into groups or left all alone to gather evidence from dramatic scenes and documentary media that colour their views and how they play the game.
A recipient of a Jessie Award for Critics’ Choice Innovation, Foreign Radical is an interactive, multimedia experience with multilingual elements in Farsi and Arabic. Each performance is unique in that the audience dynamic influences the outcome.
Direction by Jeremy Waller & Tim Carlson
Script by Tim Carlson
Performed by Milton Lim & Aryo Khakpour
Sound & Music by David Mesiha
Video by Cande Andrade
Lighting design by Mark Eugster
Scenography by Kyla Gardiner
Dramaturgy by Kathleen Flaherty (Playwright's Theatre Centre)
Early dramaturgy by Bruce Barton (Centre for Drama, University of Toronto)
Stage Management by Florence Barrett
Foreign Radical was co-created by Tim Carlson, Jeremy Waller, David Mesiha, Kathleen Flaherty, Milton Lim, Aryo Khakpour, Florence Barrett and Cande Andrade. It was developed with the assistance of Playwrights Theatre Centre, The Cultch and Banff Centre, and premiered at The Cultch in 2015.
✯✯✯✯✯ It’s a show that gets under your skin. — The Scotsman
✯✯✯✯ Theatre Conspiracy has created a boundary-pushing new work in Foreign Radical. — The Skinny
✯✯✯✯ This is a clever, provocative show. ... Foreign Radical is urgent, timely and necessary. — The List
✯✯✯✯ Relevant, provocative and disturbing. — Broadway World
✯✯✯✯ This thrilling interactive experience sticks close the soul. — A Younger Theatre
✯✯✯✯ An imaginative and entertaining piece of interactive theatre that raises serious questions without lecturing the audience. — The Reviews Hub
TOURING ENQUIRIES: Michael Rubenfeld at Selfconcious Productions
- High Performance Rodeo Calgary, Canada January 17-21, 2018
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe (UK premiere) Edinburgh, Scotland August 2nd - 27th, 2017
- Carrefour international de théâtre festival Quebec City, Canada June 9th & 10th, 2017
- Studio 1398 Vancouver, Canada February 7th - 11th, 2017
- Shadbolt Centre for the Arts Burnaby, Canada July 14th - 16th, 2016
- The Cultch (world premiere) Vancouver, Canada April 7th - 25th, 2015
- Banff Centre of the Arts (interdisciplinary residency) Banff, Canada February 22nd - March 2nd, 2015
- Your Kontinent Film and Media Arts Festival (in-process) Richmond, Canada July 22nd - 26th, 2014
- University of Toronto (in-process) Toronto, Canada May 24th - June 3rd, 2014
- Black Plastic (in-process) Vancouver, Canada December 20th - 21st, 2013
More information on Theatre Conspiracy's website.
Supported by Canada Council for the Arts, BC Arts Council, Province of B.C., City of Vancouver Cultural Services, The Hamber Foundation, The Cultch, Playwrights Theatre Centre, Vancouver Foundation, University of Toronto Centre for Drama. Theatre and Performance Studies and The Banff Centre. We acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia.